Online Poker Strategy For Beginners
Moving from your local card game to playing poker online can be a difficult transition, even for experienced players. Getting used to a brand new set-up and changing to an online poker strategy can be odd and unfamiliar, but here at GGPoker we have some easy guidelines to help you ease into the online poker world. Soon, you’ll be having the most fun online with our unique card games, giving you the most thrilling poker experience you can find online. We’ve outlined some tips below to help get you started.
1. Start by playing low-stakes poker
Even if you’re use to high-stakes poker and winning big, online poker games are a different animal. Although the set-up and rules are similar, it’s best to get use to the subtle differences before they start causing you headaches in high-stakes poker games. Start small, get use to the different buttons and features so you know how to use them and you’ll soon find your own personal online poker strategy that you can bring into the big games.
You’ll also get a sense of the competition. You might be the big-shot in your local poker room, but online you’ll be up against players from all over the world. You could end up losing big when you find you’re a novice in a experts game. Start small, build your experience and graduate through the stakes until you find the perfect level for you.
2. Get use to the online poker features
In live poker games, the rules and set-up is usually pretty rigid and standard. But online, there’s a whole new aspect to the poker world you won’t expect. At GGPoker we’ve features like All-In Insurance, Run-It Three Times & Straddle designed for a more thrilling experience, so getting use to these as soon as possible should factor high in your online poker strategy. Also take into account the bonus features you can get, like GGPokers 200% First Deposit Bonus.
Timing is also another issue you’ll have to get use to. In live poker, you could take a few minutes to make a decision, but in the online world you’ll need to act quickly before timing-out and forfeiting the hand. This also means you’re going to get through much more hands in a shorter time.
3. Play in a area with no distractions
In the real world, poker players need to sit at the table and focus on the game, even when they’re out of the hand. But in online poker, you have the problem of multiple distractions such as the television, your mobile phone or just browsing the internet. Pay attention if you want to get ahead, or you could miss some valuable information for future hands.
If you want to take your online poker career seriously, creating an environment where you can do-so is crucial. You should get away from all distractions, and create an area as comfortable as possible. Pipe-in your favourite music, have a small fridge with snacks & drinks, have a bright and fresh room where you’ll be comfortable sitting for hours. Get a comfortable chair so you can play longer sessions, and make sure you’re surrounded by an environment that’ll keep you as positive as possible.
4. Online Poker Strategy For Beginners To Avoid Tilt
Tilt refers to a time when a poker player enters a state of emotional or mental confusion, usually resulting in the player becoming overly aggressive. It usually comes from a result of losing multiple hands, frustration with other poker players or from pure bad-luck.
Tilt can have a serious effect on your game, so learning to deal with it is critical. Here’s a few tips on avoiding tilt:
- Don’t get emotional. If you’re feeling upset, don’t play. And if you feel yourself growing more aggressive as you play, take a break and come back when you’ve calmed down. At GGPoker, we’re all about the thrill and enjoying online poker, so we’ve added features like All-In Insurance and Run It Three Times to avoid the threat of tilt. Use them and get back to enjoying your game.
- Expect the downturn. Poker is a game of chance, and any combination of Hole Cards can win a hand. So expect your A-K to get beat by 2-9 every now and again. Try to remember the probability difference between hand’s aren’t that big, so expect that dip in form to happen – it’s part of the game.
- Keep doing the right things. Frustration will lead to you making bad decisions, so try to keep to the ABC’s of online poker. If you have an online poker strategy that’s been working, don’t suddenly change your game. Get use to the idea of “Variance” – some hands you’ll win, some you’ll lose. And always stay on top of your financial situation. If you don’t have the funds to play comfortably, wait till you do.
- Take a break. If you’re starting to feel that frustration grow, walk away and do something else. Everyone suffers from fatigue so know your limits and take a few days off. You can even use PokerCraft to go over your hand history and see areas where you can improve.
5. Have fun
Poker is meant to be fun, and including this in your online poker strategy is a must…otherwise what’s the point in playing? At GGPoker we’re all about the thrill and fun of online poker, with unique games and features you won’t find anywhere else. So relax and enjoy your game, and when it stops being fun, stop. There’s nothing wrong with recharging your batteries and coming back in a couple of days. GGPoker’s app is available 24/7 and on the go, so we’ll always be there when you’re ready to play again.